Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Those a-ha moments (or those chances to be grateful)

Picture this.

It's a sunny day. The sun is streaming through the lounge. Your kittens are playing on the ground, tumbling over each other like WWF wrestlers having the time of their life. Your partner is on the couch getting excited over kite-surfing gear and the potential. You are sitting there absorbing the sun. Cinnamon buns are in the oven and the house smells deliciously edible. It's a pretty neat morning.

The other day, this was exactly what was happening in my house. I was, however, preoccupied. I think I was working, or thinking of work, or something similar. And then, the most interesting thing happened.

A song played.

Haha!

But in all seriousness, a song did play, and it changed how I witnessed that morning profoundly. Earlier that day, I had stumbled across my old, broken IPod. Surprisingly, when it was turned on, it worked again (it had previously died by water bath). Shocked, I thought it would be fun to play what was on the Ipod. 6 years on, I thought it would be interesting to see what was even on it. So, I put it on.

Now as I was sitting there, preoccupied, a song came on that I heard for the first time in 7th form. I remember the song so profoundly because I heard on soccer tournament when I was very injured, tired, sore and I had a lot of crap going on in my life at that time. It touched me this song, and became something I played for the rest of the next year as one thing after another kept occurring. From hospital visits to emotional dark places, this song was something I played constantly. To remind me of the fact that living life doesn't mean settling for no sunshine. (The song for those of you who are interested is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4RCQYCqkf4).

This song came on that morning. And I was instantly transported back to the times where I listened to it - often feeling broken, afraid, hurt, torn, hopeless.

And when I listened to it, I looked around the room for the first time that morning, truly absorbing it. I realised that back in those times when I listened to that song, I never thought my life would look anything like this. I didn't realise that there was this amazing otherside waiting for me. And I realised and appreciated how incredibly blessed I am. And how grateful I am that the image of the life I had seen for myself is not what came to be. I wonder what life would look like if we took the time to dream life into those hopeless spaces. Gain a perspective that really can pull us through those dark times to remember our "a-ha" moments. Those moments when you look at your life and everything in it, and just think wow.

I mean, there's things my life is lacking (job security for one!!) but the fact of the matter is, my life is awesome. And bathed and bathed and bathed in sunshine. Some of you have asked for a look at the kittens, so I've put a snapshot of some of my cool moments lately. The kittens are Snow (for snow leopard) and Tigger. I'll let you guess which is which ;)

I guess the thing to remember is that the grass is only greener on the side that gets watered. Watered with gratitude. And love. And inspiration.

Are you watering yours?

Over and out,

Cooper x














No comments:

Post a Comment